Friday, June 8th
220 E Main St.
Marshalltown, IA 50158
The Events of the Day Include: (Scroll Down to Register)
- 8:30 -9:00 — Registration (Theater Entrance)
- Vendors set up in Black Box Theater
- 9:00 – 9:50 — General Session (Black Box Theater)
- Orpheum Theater (Bob Untiedt, Orpheum Theater)
- 10:00 – 10:50 — Session 1
- Dirty, Brittle Books: Cleaning Techniques & Protective Enclosures (Julie Smith & Shelby Strommer, University of Iowa Libraries) – Meeting Room A
- Managing Preservation and Digital Project Workflows (Erin Anderson, Lindsey Hillgartner, Sonya Barron, and Mindy McCoy, Iowa State University Library) – Meeting Room B
- 11:00 – 11:50 — Session 2
- Natural History Collections: Preservation and Cleaning (Cindy Opitz, University of Iowa Pentacrest Museums) – Meeting room A
- Disaster Response: Initial Steps (Nancy Kraft, University of Iowa Libraries) – Meeting Room B
- 12:00 – 12:50 – Lunch & Annual Meeting (Black Box Theater)
- 1:00 – 1:50 — Keynote (Black Box Theater)
- Care of Photographs (Onnica Marquez, St. Ambrose University)
- 2:00 – 2:50
- Marshall County Courthouse Tour
- 3:00 – 3:50
- Edel Blacksmith Shop Tour (Keith Niedermann)
2018 Scholarship Application for ICPC members
The Iowa Conservation and Preservation Consortium (ICPC) is offering two $500 reimbursement scholarships to the Northern States Conservation Center on-line classes, or to the Midwest Art Conservation Center in Minneapolis.
See below link for more details and application form.
Save Our Stuff (SOS), the Annual Conference and Meeting of the Iowa Conservation and Preservation Consortium (ICPC) will be held on June 8, 2018, at the Orpheum Theater in Marshalltown, IA.
Preserving and conserving Iowa’s cultural heritage is a pillar in the missions of many institutions around the state. ICPC’s Save Our Stuff conference focuses on strategies and practices that meet the preservation needs of Iowa’s cultural institutions.
Proposals are now being accepted for sessions for the 2018 ICPC Conference and Annual Meeting. Topics should directly address issues of preservation and conservation of cultural materials including, but not limited to, books, manuscripts, ephemera, and artifacts. Presentations ought to be applicable to institutions with various staff sizes and budgets.
Each session is 50 minutes in length. If you are proposing a roundtable or panel presentation, please include names and titles of all participants.
Proposals should be submitted via e-mail with the subject heading “2018 SOS Proposal” to the ICPC Administrative Assistant at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submissions is March 31, 2018. Proposals accepted for sessions will be notified in April. Speakers are requested to donate their time, expertise, and travel. Lunch is provided for speakers, but those wishing to attend conference sessions other than their own must register.
During a disaster, time is critical but help is a phone call away. IMALERT Hotline 319-384-3673.
Beginning July 1, 2016, the Iowa Museums, Archives, and Libraries Emergency Response Team (IMALERT) will provide a hotline service to cultural institutions experiencing an emergency or disaster. The IMALERT Hotline can connect staff with the information and expertise needed to respond to, and recover from any level of incident from a leaking pipe to a major flood.
IMALERT will coordinate with first responders, state and local agencies, and vendors to provide disaster assistance to affected institutions and their collections. Through the team’s vast experience in conservation, preservation and emergency response and recovery, help is available to:
– assess damage to collection materials
– make recommendations for recovery
– assist with decision making on drying out buildings
– demonstrate salvage techniques and/or help organize the initial salvage operation
Thank you everyone who came, I hope you had a great time!
The Iowa Conservation and Preservation Consortium
Collections Emergency Response Training
This training is funded by a grant from the Historic Resource Development Fund. There is no fee to participants. Participants will be provided with hotel lodging and reimbursement for transportation.
Please complete the Application Form and return to Nancy E Kraft.
Download and print this immediate response checklist poster. This poster was created in 2009 by the Iowa Historical Records Advisory Board for Archives Month. We think it is so useful that we wanted to make it available here.
2009 Iowa Historical Records Advisory Board poster for Archives Month
WE NEED YOUR HELP to develop a statewide plan to help the stewards of cultural property plan for the protection and recovery of collections in the event of emergencies. Please click on here to fill out a brief survey.