Save Our Stuff (SOS), the Annual Conference and
Meeting of the Iowa Conservation and Preservation Consortium (ICPC) will be
held on June 5, 2020, at the Spirit Lake Campus of Iowa Lakes Community College in Spirit Lake,
Preserving and conserving Iowa’s cultural
heritage is a pillar in the missions of many institutions around the state.
ICPC’s Save Our Stuff conference focuses on strategies and practices that meet
the preservation needs of Iowa’s cultural institutions.
Proposals are now
being accepted for sessions for the 2020 ICPC Conference and Annual
Meeting. Topics should directly address
issues of preservation and conservation of cultural materials including, but
not limited to, books, manuscripts, ephemera, and artifacts. Presentations
ought to be applicable to institutions with various staff sizes and budgets.
Speakers may propose sessions in the following
1. Full sessions – 50 minutes in length. If you are proposing a round table or panel presentation, please include names and titles of all participants.
2. Half Session – 20 minute
presentation as a joint session on a common topic.
Proposals should be submitted via e-mail to ICPC
Administrative Assistant at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for submissions is April 15, 2019. Proposals accepted for
sessions will be notified at the end of
Speakers are requested to donate their time,
expertise, and travel. Lunch is provided for speakers, but those wishing to
attend conference sessions other than their own must register.
The Martin Luther Service Day in which we were helping the UI Pharmacy Museum move has had to be postponed due winter weather impacting eastern Iowa.
We will be rescheduling the service day and we will continue to post updates about the new date.
Thanks to everyone that was planning to attend on January 20th, 2020. We hope to see you on the new date!
Preservation Destination 2018
Organized and Sponsored by ICPC for its Members.
Come and Explore the Western Central Area of Iowa
Behind the scenes free tours of 3 historic treasures.
Monday, August 6 from 9:15 – 3:15
Registration Deadline – July 30 for meal reservation
9:15 – 10:15 German Hausbarn
(12196 311th St, Manning, IA 51455)
10:15 – 10:45 Travel time
10:45-12:15 Museum of Danish America
(2212 Washington St. Elk Horn, IA 51531)
12:15 – 1 Lunch at the Museum of Danish America
Includes your choice of a Chicken Salad Wrap or a Veggie Wrap, chips, cookie and water or lemonade for $7.25 – Make checks payable to the Museum of Danish America or bring exact change. NO CARDS
With Speaker Kara McKeever, Manager of Genealogy Center, Elk Horn
1:15 – 1:45 Bedstemors House – period home at Museum of Danish America
1:45 – 2:15 Travel time and break
2:15 – 3:15 Coca-Cola Museum
(4 East Second St., Atlantic, IA 50022)
To Register: Please send email to email@example.com and include: (please feel free to copy and paste the small form below into your email)
Phone Number in case of emergency (such as the unlikely event that we would have to cancel):
Your choice of a Veggie, or Chicken Salad Wrap:
Not a member? Join as a member at Preservation Destination.
We’d love to have you come.
Friday, June 8th
220 E Main St.
Marshalltown, IA 50158
The Events of the Day Include: (Scroll Down to Register)
- 8:30 -9:00 — Registration (Theater Entrance)
- Vendors set up in Black Box Theater
- 9:00 – 9:50 — General Session (Black Box Theater)
- Orpheum Theater (Bob Untiedt, Orpheum Theater)
- 10:00 – 10:50 — Session 1
- Dirty, Brittle Books: Cleaning Techniques & Protective Enclosures (Julie Smith & Shelby Strommer, University of Iowa Libraries) – Meeting Room A
- Managing Preservation and Digital Project Workflows (Erin Anderson, Lindsey Hillgartner, Sonya Barron, and Mindy McCoy, Iowa State University Library) – Meeting Room B
- 11:00 – 11:50 — Session 2
- Natural History Collections: Preservation and Cleaning (Cindy Opitz, University of Iowa Pentacrest Museums) – Meeting room A
- Disaster Response: Initial Steps (Nancy Kraft, University of Iowa Libraries) – Meeting Room B
- 12:00 – 12:50 – Lunch & Annual Meeting (Black Box Theater)
- 1:00 – 1:50 — Keynote (Black Box Theater)
- Care of Photographs (Onnica Marquez, St. Ambrose University)
- 2:00 – 2:50
- Marshall County Courthouse Tour
- 3:00 – 3:50
- Edel Blacksmith Shop Tour (Keith Niedermann)
Download and print this immediate response checklist poster. This poster was created in 2009 by the Iowa Historical Records Advisory Board for Archives Month. We think it is so useful that we wanted to make it available here.
2009 Iowa Historical Records Advisory Board poster for Archives Month